Hi, my name is Audra Gordon. I am a communications major at the University of New England! With a degree in communications, I hope to develop a career in non-profit. I am specifically interested in working with local children to help aid underprivileged children in third world countries, as in Operation Kid to Kid.
This blog that I've created for my Social Application of Web course at UNE is the first blog I have ever made! I think that blogs can be utilized in non-profit, and in many other fields, by simply promoting awareness. Since the world is rapidly becoming more technologically advanced, using features like Blogger, Twitter, or Wikis can help to give knowledge of an organization or to boost awareness of an issue. The more people that understand what's happening around them, the bigger the opportunity is for them to help! Taking this course will help me to broaden my abilities with the internet and social media, which in turn will help me adapt better in my field of profession.
Setting up my first blog has gone pretty well. I chose to keep my blog public simply because I'm not sure which privacty settings will effect my other classmates or how I can connect with other social media outlets for this class. That has been my biggest problem so far, figuring out how to follow my peers and have them follow me. I chose a layout that looked the most simple and appealing to me. I figured that my classmates will have to be reading these blog posts often for the next few weeks, so the more simplistic and visually appealing the blog is, the better for them. We'll see how my second blog post will go next week!
Hey Audra! You are not the only one who had trouble finding people to follow. Corey and I have worked on that for quite a while and came to the conclusion that you can only follow people who have made their first blog. What I did was I went to the teacher's blog, looked at her followers, clicked on a person and looked at what those people joined for blogs. I found you, Tara, and Corey so far using this method. I think that might have been all who blogged as of now. I also really admire what you plan to do with your degree as a profession!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the help! It took me a while to figure out how to follow people, but I was also having problems because of my laptop. For some reason blogger doesn't work with internet explorer. I downloaded safari and now it's working just fine. I'm glad people can actually find me now! Also, I'm grateful for the admiration. Pharmacists are saving people just as much, though, since medicine is so important in our lives. I admire your ambitions, too!
ReplyDeleteI still can't figure out how to follow many people or have people follow me... can anybody even see my blog because I posted it a couple days ago?! Audra I also love the layout of your blog. I agree that its really simple and easy to find everything but also the background is just calming to me :)
ReplyDeleteThere are only a few people that have their blogs set up so that you can see them. The way I have been doing it, like some others, is just clicking on the people that are following Bistra and trying to follow them as well. I added my blog as my web page and my link under the settings, so that way people can find it. Hopefully by posting on my blog though people will be able to see you! I'm glad you like the layout of my blog! I thought it was simple but charming.
ReplyDeleteI was so excited to have found another classmate! I've had trouble finding ways to follow other classmates. Your career choice is remarkable. I am interested to hear more, because I too want to help underprivledged children! Thank you for thinking of me and our other classmates when developing your layout. The simplicity is extremely helpful, and your background photo is beautiful! Can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to tell you that I'm glad that you didn't set your privacy settings. Your blog was one of the easier ones to find and follow. Thank you very much for that! :]I also agree about your layout and background. I love the tree, it is just so easy to look at and appealing to the eye :]
ReplyDeleteI like how you said that blogging, twitter, etc. can help create awareness. In this technological world that we are living in, people are more apt to be checking social networks such as twitter on a daily basis which will allow people to gain knowledge of organizations and boost the awareness like you had said.
ReplyDelete